Saturday, June 9, 2012

Of A Sun & Three Stars



I went home to the province for a few days. School has started and visiting my Tatay's (father) office opposite the barangay grade school, nostalgia swept me. This is the time of the year when we used to pester our parents with pieces of yellow, red, and blue papers and bamboo sticks strewed on the floor. As we, my younger sister and I, struggle to make the most decent looking yellow sun and stars cut-outs.

Back to the present, the classroom windows decorated with mini flags waving at us was a delightful sight. I told my sister, we should have brought a camera to capture the sight!

Come June 12, the Philippines will commemorate it's Independence Day. Declared in 1898, the Philippine was freed from the colonial rule of Spain with the public reading of the Independence Act and the unfurling of the Philippine national flag -- the same design used and honored until today. The same flag by which we recite our pledge of allegiance, the same flag which proudly sways with the wind, hoisted in public places: schools,government offices, by the monuments of our notable heroes, constantly reminding us to hold true with our oath:

I am a Filipino
I pledge my allegiance
To the flag of the Philippines
And to the country it represents
With honor, justice, and freedom
Put in motion by one nation
For God, for the People,
For the Nature, and for the Country.

I definitely missed sharing my postcards with the blogging community and looking at what they have up in their pages, so click the link below for postcards viewing this weekend! :)



~maria

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard the Filipino Pledge of Allegiance - it's beautiful!!!

    Your postcard is beautiful as well - I like how one of the flags appears to be flying in a different direction from the others!

    Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you saw, please let me know: