Saturday, September 22, 2012

Sinulog Festival Queens


I just returned to Manila from a 5-day fieldwork in Cebu City, and lookie here on what I've got ;-)

I saw this card in one of the tourist souvenir stalls in Cebu International Airport. I immediately grabbed a few copies since I've never seen a similar card in any of the bookstores (where I normally buy my cards from) here in Manila.

Sinulog is one of the prestigious and colorful festivals in the country. It is one of the most awaited events in the country's cultural calendar, held in Cebu every third Sunday of January. The feast is in honor of the Child King, Sto. Niño -- baby Jesus. 

One of the highlights of the festival is the street dancing. The Sinulog Festival Queen is picked from the most elegant, most vibrant, and most gorgeous among the lead dancers of the competing dance groups. During the dance, she is the character of Queen Juana, carrying the image of Sto Niño. This is to remember the gift by Magellan to Rajah Humabon, king of Cebu in 1951 -- when he and his people accepted Christianity. 

Cebu City is dubbed as the 'Cradle of Christianity' in the Philippines.

I'm sharing this with Beth's Postcard Friendship Friday blog roll. Sorry for the late post. I was dead tired when I arrived home yesterday and fell asleep reading the messages from the back of 28 Touchnote and 17 regular postcards that welcomed me back to my apartment :)


To read more about Sinulog, please click here. Happy weekend everyone! 

~maria 

2 comments:

  1. They are truly beautiful costumes, and they do make a wonderful postcard!

    How do you feel about the Touchnote cards? I've heard a lot of people don't like them though I've never yet received one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wpnderful card. I love to see beautiful textiles and headdresses. Fascinating to me! Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you saw, please let me know: