Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A is for Avignon, France

Facebook Swap: Sender: Sebastien
Sent: 7 Aug 2013 from Cadillac, France
Received: 13 Aug 2013, Traveled ~11,528 km in 6 days

Facebook Swap: Sender: Sebastien
Sent: 7 Aug 2013 from Cadillac, France
Received: 13 Aug 2013, Traveled ~11,528 km in 6 days

I have wanted to do the #atozchallenge for two years already but for one reason or another, I always miss to sign up. And before I know it, the sign up list is closed and the alphabet express has arrived. This year, I promised myself, this should change. The postcards that I haven't shared here on my blog has piled up. The challenge will give me a great venue to share my collection and this beautiful hobby of deltiology. I am not a hardcore collector but my hope is to be able to share my simple happiness of sending and receiving a small piece of paper through the postal service. A small piece of paper nonetheless, connects me to the world.

My theme will be UNESCO world heritage sites on postcards. Having just started a new job, I know it can be demanding right now for me to post an entry a day for an entire month so as suggested by the #atozchallenge team, my posts will be short. They will be composed of (1) the postcard/s, (2) a brief information about the site, and (3) some side information should I have the luxury of time on that specific day of posting. As early as now, I'd like to mention that whatever will be on the (2) portion will most likely be contributed by the sender of the postcard, the ever helpful Uncle Wiki, or an excerpt from the UNESCO WHS

So much for introduction then, roll the alphabet please .... A is for Avignon, France

It became a UNESCO site in 1995. Seven successive popes lived in Avignon between 1309 and 1377. I am very grateful to Sebastien who sent me these two cards giving me an insight of how Avignon looks like both from the inside and the outside. On the second card, the view is from the Rhône River, where the 4 arches of the initial 22 now remains from a bridge with an actual length of 900 meters.

I'm so excited I finally caught up with the alphabet express this time! *giggles*

~maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you saw, please let me know: