Friday, April 13, 2018

Postcards for the weekend 81: Monuments

Private Swap

The Arch of Titus is an honorific monument dedicated to Titus, son of Vespasian. It was commissioned by the Roman Emperor Domitian in AD 82. The arch is significant for one reason among others that the menorah depicted on this arch has been the menorah used on the emblem for the state of Israel

Private Swap, sent from Berlin, Germany
Sent 17 August 2012, Traveled 9,860 km

Brandenburg Gate is one of the best-known monuments and landmarks of Germany. It was built in the 18th century under the orders of Frederick William II of Prussia. The gate is both a symbol of the tumultuous history of Europe and Germany and of unity and peace.

Happy weekend everyone,

~maria



3 comments:

  1. Impressive constructions, but a bit weird how they have been re-interpreted over the centuries... (to fit our own time and values rather than the original historical context) (Actually, at first glance here, I happened to read "horrific" monument - rather than honorific...!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first postcard brought me good memories: I was there under the arch of Titus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria, Congrats on these excellent monument cards. This week was a challenge for my collection. I hope I didn't stretch things too far with the card I came up with. I do think you will smile. Wishing you a happy week ahead! Thank you for sharing and hosting, as always! John

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you saw, please let me know: